EducationNC is a daily online, nonprofit, nonpartisan source of news and analysis about essential education issues for North Carolina residents. For the last seven years, our work has focused on informing North Carolinians about the major trends, issues, and challenges bearing on K-12 and postsecondary education in North Carolina.
We’re an organization that has grown our audience 140% in the last two years, and we’re now looking to expand our audience team with the addition of an audience growth producer.
The producer will work closely with the Director of Communications and Director of Content to strategize, create, and implement work supporting EdNC’s website, social media and search engine presence, newsletters, and more.
This position is ideal for recent or upcoming college graduates who are eager to learn. We’re looking for someone who is interested in understanding and including North Carolinians in a conversation about education. The ideal candidate will be passionate about audience engagement, education, and connecting with members of North Carolina’s education community — from parents to superintendents. We want this person to be a self-starter who can help us distribute and curate content creatively and strategically across all of our channels — including by developing strategies for channels we are not currently using. We want this person to really get to know our community, understand their information needs, and help to close our engagement loop.
This is a full-time, remote position. Applicants can be based anywhere in North Carolina. Some travel to in-person meetings is expected.
Salary starts at $45,000 but does not include benefits. Vacation and sick days are provided.
A typical day could look like:
- Supporting the EdNC engagement team by translating audience goals into action.
- Assisting with social media content creation and management (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- Contributing to engagement initiatives and projects to optimize EdNC.org, as well as audience-centric research and product improvements across our platforms, news processes, and events.
- Evaluating metrics for the website and social media.
- Producing timely, audience-first content for the website on an occasional basis
- And whatever else you’re interested in!
We’re looking for someone:
- With a self-starting, creative, proactive attitude.
- With strong news judgment and editing skills.
- With excellent verbal and written communication.
- Able to manage projects and work independently.
- Able to work under both breaking news and long-term planning deadlines.
- Flexible and able to pivot as needed.
- Collaborative: working closely with a team of two, and then more broadly with a diverse team and North Carolina population.
- Familiar with education, policy, journalism, communications, or several of these things; we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds, so no specific experience required.
Preferred but not required (we can teach you!):
- Graphic design experience.
- Familiarity with Excel and Google Sheets.
- Familiarity with the Adobe Creative Cloud, specifically Premiere and Photoshop.
- Experience with email analytics as well as other listening and engagement tools like Crowdtangle and Google Analytics.
- Basic understanding of search engine optimization.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
We know there are great people who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Commitment to diversity
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. EducationNC is an equal opportunity employer. Diverse candidates strongly encouraged to apply. Read EdNC’s equity statement here.
EducationNC is an online, daily, independent newspaper that provides citizens and policymakers with nonpartisan data, research, news, information, and analysis about the major trends, issues, and challenges bearing on K-12 and postsecondary education in North Carolina.