BEST NC released its draft vision for North Carolina schools today, highlighting three main strategies: support students, elevate educators, and raise expectations. Over the past several months, BEST NC facilitated discussions with more than 325 top education stakeholders across the state to create this vision.
“We believe North Carolina can have the fastest-improving education system in the nation by 2020,” said Brenda Berg, president and CEO of the organization.
BEST NC says its goal is for North Carolina to “lead the nation in academic achievement” by 2030. Each of its key strategies is buttressed by actions that it says can make North Carolina the “best education system in the nation.”
Hover on the strategies below to tell EdNC what you think of each one.
- Expand access to high-quality educational opportunities
- Surround students with systems of support
- Pursue personalized learning models that meet students’ individual needs
- Build a first-rate early childhood workforce
- Recruit, support and keep top K-12 teachers
- Develop and support inspiring K-12 leadership
- Recruit and keep outstanding higher education talent
- Prioritize career and college readiness for every student
- Sharpen the focus of educational agencies and governance
- Provide information, flexibility and incentives to drive student success
BEST NC wants feedback on the draft vision. To ensure the vision is the best it can be, BEST NC is engaging all education stakeholders in a statewide conversation.
There are several ways for stakeholders to provide help and feedback:
- Share the discussion draft with other people!
- Share your ideas by taking a short survey OR
- Join one of BEST-NC’s upcoming webinars:
- Thursday, February 12 – 3:30-4 pm
- Friday, February 13 – 11-11:30 am
- Wednesday, February 18 – 10-10:30 am
- Thursday, February 19 – 1-1:30 pm
- Tuesday, February 24 – 10-10:30 am
- Wednesday, February 25 – 3-3:30 pm
- Download a copy of the recently updated Education in North Carolina: Facts & Figures, including data on North Carolina education from preschool through postgraduate.
Editor’s Note: BEST NC is a supporter of EdNC.