Skip to content
EdNC. Essential education news. Important stories. Your voice.

Search ednc.org

Two school shootings in one week. The loss of a student. Tears and prayers are not enough, North Carolina.

Share this story

Our republishing policy

EdNC is a nonprofit, online, daily, independent newspaper. All of EdNC’s content is open source and free to republish. Please use the following guidelines when republishing our content.
  • Our content must be republished in full. If your organization uses a paywall, the content must be provided in full for free.
  • Credit our team by including both the author name and EdNC.org in the byline. Example: Alex Granados, EdNC.org.
  • If republishing the story online, please provide a link to EdNC.org or a link to the original article in either the byline or credit line.
  • The original headline of the article must be used. Allowable edits to the content of the piece include changes to meet your publication’s style guide and references to dates (i.e. this week changed to last week). Other edits must be approved by emailing Hannah Vinueza McClellan at [email protected].
  • Photos and other multimedia elements (audio, video, etc.) may not be republished without prior permission. Please email Hannah Vinueza McClellan at [email protected] if you are interested in sharing a multimedia element.
  • If you republish a story, please let us know by emailing Hannah Vinueza McClellan at [email protected].

Please email Hannah Vinueza McClellan at [email protected] if you have any questions. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Canonical tag

Please include the following canonical tag in the <head> of the republished story.

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.ednc.org/two-school-shootings-in-one-week-the-loss-of-a-student-tears-and-prayers-are-not-enough-north-carolina/">

HTML content

This includes the title, byline, content, and tracking pixel required for republishing this story.

This story is tagged:
This morning, Sept. 2, 2021, at Mount Tabor High School. Mebane Rash/EducationNC

On Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021, we lost a student, William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr., at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.

The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office said, “It is a sad day, but we will get through this together. This family needs your prayers. Our students need your prayers. Our community needs your prayers.”

As the Sheriff left the hospital, he said he cried.

Today we are all Spartans.

The suspect was taken into custody yesterday without incident. Mount Tabor High School was closed on Sept. 2 for students and staff.

Gov. Roy Cooper met with local leaders in Winston-Salem in the morning about the shooting. There was a press conference at 11 a.m.

It is the second time this week there has been a shooting at one of our schools. A 15-year-old student has been charged with shooting another student following a fight on Monday at New Hanover High School.

As the news about these shootings continues to unfold, I ask for your love and support for the family of William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr. The mother asks that we say his name.

I ask for your love and support for the students, the parents, the educators, and the school leaders of Mount Tabor High School and New Hanover High School.

Back in 2018, when I was reporting on the shooting at Butler High School, I learned it isn’t just the students who die that we lose. The student shooters are lost to us too, and their families also grieve.

I ask for your love and support of all of our students and educators who have to summon the courage to go back to school today.

And I ask that you help us thank all of those who work to keep our schools safe day in and day out.

Many worked hard to keep this from happening again. There was a report by the North Carolina Governor’s Crime Commission Special Committee on School Shootings. There was a House Select Committee on School Safety. There was a Summit on Student Safety and Wellbeing. There is a Center for Safer Schools and Say Something at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.

This week is proof it isn’t enough.

I’m not just worried about physical violence. Recently in Macon County, I visited a K-4 school where two students had attempted suicide. And since the start of this school year, two students in Transylvania County Schools have committed suicide.

These are the worst reminders of why a whole-child approach to learning is our only path forward. Our focus on adverse childhood experiences, trauma-sensitive learning environments, and social-emotional learning must be steadfast — and well-resourced.

In the K-4 school, there will be a full-time mental health professional thanks to federal relief dollars.

EducationNC is a statewide newspaper. We “live” everywhere. Every school is “ours.” What happens at each of them is “personal” to all of us.

Please help us figure out the next steps in working together to end violence at our schools. Help us figure out how to make them the safe spaces they should and need to be, the safe spaces our students and educators deserve.

There is only one measure of our collective work on school violence. It stops.

In his principal’s update for the new school year, Ed Weiss, the principal at Mount Tabor High School, called for “Excellence in Every Endeavor” during this year and beyond.

May we rise to his challenge in our endeavor to restore safety to our schools.


Correction: A previous version of this article listed charges in the Mount Tabor High School shooting. The article has been updated to reflect that a suspect has been arrested and is in custody. No charges had been made public at the time of this article’s publication.