Tar Heel Teachers at Home is a weekly videocast focused on engaging North Carolinians in conversations about education. Each week, a panel of educators interview a guest(s).
In this videocast, the Tar Heel Teachers chat with Kelley Johnson, principal of the Innovation Academy at South Campus. She shares how Johnston County’s 6-8 lab school is navigating COVID-19.
The Innovation Academy primarily serves potential first-generation college students by implementing personalized pathways, project-based learning, restorative practices, and standards-based teaching, grading, and reporting.
This week’s panel:
- Moderator: Marlow M. Artis, Creator, Chief Content Purveyor, & Executive Producer of Tar Heel Teachers. Twitter: @TarHeelTeachers
- Elementary School Panelist: Carol Forrest, K-2 Adapted Curriculum Teacher with Franklin County Schools & 2020 Burroughs Wellcome Fund North Central Region Teacher of the Year. Twitter: @carol4rest
- Middle School Panelist: Cassandra Parsons, Special Education Teacher with Cumberland County Schools. Twitter: @cparsonec
- High School Panelist: Mika Twietmeyer, Biology Teacher with Durham Public Schools. Twitter: @MikaJHunter
- Support Personnel Panelist: Aritia Smalls, AIG Program Specialist with Cumberland County Schools. Twitter: @SmallsAritia
- Guest(s): Kelley Johnson, Principal of the Innovation Academy at South Campus. Twitter: @kelleydjohnson & @JoCoLabSchool