Skip to content

EdNC. Essential education news. Important stories. Your voice.

12/20/2022

This affidavit was filed yesterday in Leandro in response to the most recent ruling of the N.C. Supreme Court. The Office of State Budget and Management was asked to determine how much of the court’s order remains to be funded taking into account appropriations by the legislature.

“The analysis reveals that 63% of the Year Two Action Items of the Comprehensive Remedial Plan, and 60% of the Year Three Items of the Comprehensive Remedial Plan have been funded. This means that approximately $257,679,390 of Year Two Action Items remain unfunded, while $420,121,777 of Year Three Action Items remain unfunded,” says the affidavit.

What happens next? Last week this report was filed with the court. The judge hasn’t ruled on the report, but the timeline proposed in the report indicates other parties would have until January 20 to respond to the affidavit. The report also notes the state controller opposes the timeline. The report says the controller believes “additional procedures are needed to assure an accurate and responsible handling of any money which the Controller authorizes. Due to the need for those additional procedures, the Controller believes it is premature to determine a scheduling order for the proceedings on remand.”

These are the sources EdNC checks every day: The New York Times, The 74, Education Week, The NC Tribune, The Insider, The News & Observer, The Charlotte Observer, WUNC, WFAE, Brookings, Education Commission of the States, and DPI’s News. A cross section of diverse sources are checked weekly and monthly. If you have an article you think needs to be included, email mrash@ednc.org.


Mebane Rash

Mebane Rash is the CEO and editor-in-chief of EducationNC.


View More EdDaily Posts