At the special called meeting of the James Sprunt Community College Trustees in February, the Board unanimously selected Dr. Jay Carraway to serve as the President of James Sprunt Community College, pending final approval by the State Board of Community Colleges at the March 15th meeting.
We are pleased to announce that today, Dr. Carraway has been officially approved by the State Board of Community Colleges.
Dr. Carraway currently serves as the Vice President of Continuing Education at Lenoir Community College in Kinston, NC. He earned his doctorate degree in Educational Leadership from East Carolina University, which is also where he obtained a masters of arts in educational administration and his bachelor of science in health and human performance.
In addition to serving as the vice president of continuing education at Lenoir Community College, he has also served as the dean of that division, the associate dean of satellite campuses, the associate dean of campuses at the Greene County campus, and director of the Greene County Center for LCC.
Dr. Caraway comes to James Sprunt with a wealth of knowledge and expertise in community college. Some of his accomplishments include:
- Co-authoring a Golden LEAF grant ($580,000) to fund the Jones County Technical Trade Center.
- Implementation of two successful curriculum programs in Jones County: Gunsmithing and Sustainable Agriculture.
- Supervising the largest EMS program in the NCCCS and the largest online paramedic program in the nation enrolling students from 21 states.
- Implementing two Back-to-Work applications which provided scholarships and supplies for students
- Established the Lenoir Community College Tennis Classic to generate scholarship funds for students in Greene County
- Established the “Beauty is a Beast” beauty pageant in Jones County to generate scholarship funds for students.
- Led the planning, program development, and equipping of the La Grange Center, the Greene County Center, the expansion of the Greene County Center, the Workforce Development Center in Snow Hill, and the three construction phases of the Jones County Center.
This is an exciting time in the history of the James Sprunt Community College. The College, as well as the Board of Trustees, look forward to welcoming Dr. Carraway to campus and providing the leadership that will move the college forward and into the future.
Dr. Carraway will begin his presidency at James Sprunt on April 29, 2019.
Board Chair Anita Powers states, “We are looking forward to Dr. Carraway assuming the role of President of James Sprunt Community College. He comes to us with a wealth of knowledge of the community college system and a proven track record in the area of Continuing Education. We believe, under his leadership, JSCC, will continue and exceed expectations to meet the educational needs of students, businesses and industry in Duplin County and surrounding counties.”
For media related questions, please contact Cheryl Hemric, director of marketing and public information at (910) 275-6170.
James Sprunt Community College is one of the premier institutions in the North Carolina Community College System. Our college serves more than 5,000 students annually from our Kenansville and WestPark campuses and three specialized centers. Learn more at http://www.jamessprunt.edu.