Nine teachers from across North Carolina have been selected as the state’s regional Teachers of the Year for their dedication, innovation and ability to inspire students to achieve.
These accomplished educators will now compete for the title of 2018 Burroughs Wellcome Fund North Carolina Teacher of the Year. The winner succeeds the 2017 Teacher of the Year, Lisa Godwin, a kindergarten teacher at Dixon Elementary School in Onslow County.
The 2018 North Carolina Regional Teachers of the Year are:
- Northeast: Kaley Kiffner, Perquimans County Middle (Perquimans County Schools);
- Southeast: Cameron Gupton, Greene Early College High (Greene County Schools);
- North Central: Kedecia Stewart, Pinkston Street Elementary School (Vance County Schools);
- Sandhills: Lindsey Sise, West Hoke Middle (Hoke County Schools);
- Piedmont-Triad: Bryan McKinney, Walter M. Williams High (Alamance-Burlington Schools);
- Southwest: Samone Graham, Mooresville High (Mooresville Graded School District);
- Northwest: Lisa Wall, Burke Middle College (Burke County Public Schools);
- Western: Julie Pittman, R-S Central High (Rutherford County Schools); and
- Charter Schools: Courtney Samuelson, The Capitol Encore Academy (Fayetteville)
The 2018 Burroughs Wellcome Fund North Carolina Teacher of the Year will be announced April 20 at an awards ceremony in Cary. North Carolina has recognized outstanding teachers through its Teacher of the Year program since 1970.Press Release