The regional Wells Fargo state principals of the year have been announced.
From among them, the state will pick the 2023 North Carolina principal of the year. The current principal of the year is Patrick Greene of Greene Central High School in Greene County.
“A principal sets the standard,” said state Superintendent of Public Instruction Catherine Truitt in a press release. “They lead by example for everyone in their school — students, educators, support staff and everyone else who walks through that building. Leaders in education have the ability to improve outcomes for so many. These nine principals exemplify what it means to be a truly strong and effective leader.”
The regional principals of the year are:
- Northeast: John Lassiter, Hertford Grammar (Perquimans County Schools)
- Sandhills: Jim Butler, Richmond Senior High (Richmond County Schools)
- Northwest: Jessica Gravel, Drexel Elementary (Burke County Public Schools)
- Piedmont-Triad: Donna Bledsoe, Cedar Ridge Elementary (Surry County Schools)
- Southeast: Ashley Faulkenberry, Trent Park Elementary (Craven County Schools)
- North Central: Dr. William Logan, Hillside High (Durham Public Schools)
- Western: Ruafika Cobb, Ira B. Jones Elementary (Asheville City Schools)
- Southwest: Tonya Williams, Concord Middle (Cabarrus County Schools)
- Charter: T.J. Worrell, NE Academy for Aerospace and Advance Technologies (Elizabeth City)
Tabari Wallace, special advisor to the superintendent for principal engagement, said principals are integral to the success of schools and students.
“Excellent principals are true difference-makers in their schools,” Wallace said in a press release. “These innovative leaders show up and give their best every day for their schools and change lives. I can’t wait to see what phenomenal work this group of dedicated leaders in education do as 2023 Wells Fargo Regional Principals of the Year.”
The 2023 principal of the year will be announced on May 19.